Learning how to clean vintage motorcycle jacket should be the first thing you do after purchasing it. With a few steps, you can keep your jacket in excellent condition for years to come. The biggest problem with vintage leather is dryness. Once leather loses its moisture, it becomes brittle and cracks easily. With proper cleaning and conditioning, you can bring vintage leather back to life.
To clean a vintage motorcycle jacket you'll need:
- Clean cloths
- Leather cleaning solution
- Leather conditioning solution
- Clean off any surface dirt. The jacket must be free of any dust and dirt or you risk rubbing it further into the leather. Use a damp cloth to clean the jacket.
- Test the leather cleaning solution. Rub a small amount of the cleaner on the inside of the jacket where it will not be seen. Check the cloth to see if any of the leather dye is on the cloth. If there is color transfer, try a different product.
- Apply the leather cleaning solution. Dampen a cloth with the solution and rub it over the jacket, concentrating on any places where the jacket is stained. Do not use too much solution or you may damage the jacket. Wipe the jacket down again with a damp cloth to remove any leftover solution.
- Use a clean, dry cloth to rub over the jacket and remove any dampness. Let the jacket dry for at least 30 minutes. It needs to be completely dry before you apply the conditioner.
- Apply a leather conditioner to the jacket. The conditioner will keep your vintage motorcycle jacket supple and help to prevent it from cracking. If the jacket is allowed to dry out and crack, there is no method that will be able to restore it so apply conditioner regularly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.