When thinking of purchasing one, you may wonder how to clean a vintage sheepskin coat. Sheepskin is a delicate and expensive material, and often only the most expensive designers use it. You must be doubly careful when handling a vintage piece, so cleaning your vintage sheepskin coat properly is of the utmost importance.
Things you'll need to clean a vintage sheepskin coat:
- Suede sponge or brush
- Sheepskin/Suede eraser
- Sheepskin waterproofer
- Large paper bag
- Sheepskin/Wool shampoo
Instructions for how to clean a vintage sheepskin coat:
- To clean basic dirt off a vintage sheepskin coat, you'll only need cold water (maximum of 150 degrees F/40 degrees C), your sheepskin shampoo, and the brush. Gently massage the dirt off with the brush and a minimal amount of soap (a dime sized dot for every twelve inches of material), and the dirt should be removed easily.
- To remove more difficult marks, your vintage sheepskin coat may require a suede eraser. This will remove all sorts of marks, including ink (which may not be removed easily with the shampoo).
- To waterproof your sheepskin coat, you'll need the waterproofer. Although sheepskin naturally resists water, you may live in a snowy climate or need to be around water on a regular basis. If so, waterproof your coat once a month with the waterproofer (generally, you simply spray or brush it on) and your coat will remain supple and stain-free. If your vintage sheepskin coat is very wet, resist the temptation to dry it by a fire or in a clothes dryer, because this will damage the shape and feel of your coat. Simply hang it in a cool, dry area and give it some time.
- To maintain that furry look of your vintage sheepskin coat, brush it with your cleaning brush and it will remain soft and supple.
- To store your vintage sheepskin coat, do not place it in a clothing bag as it will not be able to breathe properly and may mildew. Instead, store it in a paper bag or a paper box for proper ventilation.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.