Need to know how to clean white Converse shoes? White converse shoes have timeless appeal and a cult like following. Many people swear grungy "Chucks" are the look to have, while others simply want their whites to be white. Follow these guidelines on how to clean white Converse shoes successfully.
You will need the following items to clean white converse shoes;
- plastic grocery bags
- stain stick
- white vinegar
- baking soda
- mild detergent, or OxiClean
- Remove the shoelaces. These can be cleaned separately, or simply tossed out and replaced.
- Stuff your white Converse with plastic grocery bags. This will help the shoes hold their shape while cleaning.
- Rub a stain stick over the white canvas and rub it in with an old toothbrush. This loosens much of the dirt and grime.
- If you do not have a stain stick, use a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda and rub the paste into the canvas with an old toothbrush. A tiny drop of bleach can be added for the whitening power, but do not over do it with the bleach. Straight bleach will do more harm than good (loosens rubber, yellows the white canvas and can eat holes right through the shoe). So, proceed with caution when using bleach.
- Toss in the washing machine, on cold with a mild, bleach free detergent, see reasons above. OxiClean works beautifully. Add a few light colored towels, or a light colored blanket to the washer to keep the noise down to a low thump.
- Spray with starch before drying to give the white Converse a nice new shoe feel. This little known tip is key to maintaining crisp white Converse shoes.
- Do not put in the dryer. The dryer will cause the white Converse shoes to turn an odd yellow color. Let the shoes air dry in the sun. This is not recommended for colored Converse, but the sun bleaches the white Converse nicely.
- Clean black scuff marks off the rubber of your white Converse shoes with a tiny shot of WD-40. The sole will even look brand new once you are done cleaning your white Converse shoes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...