There are several methods for how to clean wicker furniture. The method you choose depends on how much cleaning the wicker furniture needs. A weekly cleaning is just a matter of dusting. Once a month the wicker furniture should be vacuumed and twice a year the wicker furniture should be thoroughly washed.
To clean wicker furniture, you will need:
- Liquid dish detergent
- Vacuum cleaner
- Soft brush
- Weekly wicker furniture cleaning. Dust and greasy fingerprints collect quickly on wicker furniture. Each week dust the wicker furniture with a disposable duster that collects the dust. Using a cleaning rag may cause the dust to be pushed further into the weave of the wicker. Use a mild solution of liquid dish detergent in hot water and a soft cloth to gently wipe away greasy fingerprints. Rinse well with a clean cloth and dry.
- Monthly wicker furniture cleaning. Vacuum the wicker each month using the brush attachment and target the dirt that has collected in the weave and corners of the wicker. Use a mild solution of liquid dish detergent in hot water and a soft cloth to gently wipe off the entire piece of wicker furniture. Rinse well with a clean cloth and dry. Don’t forget to clean the underside of the wicker piece.
- Serious wicker furniture cleaning. At least twice a year, remove the cushions from your wicker furniture and move it outside onto the patio or driveway. Use a hose to spray the wicker furniture enough to wet the surface. Use a mild solution of liquid dish detergent in hot water and a soft brush to wash the entire weave of the wicker. Rinse off and pat dry with a thirsty towel. Work quickly and do not saturate the wicker with too much water. Let the wicker furniture dry completely in the sun.
- Wicker furniture used on the outside patio will need serious cleaning once a month to remove dirt and debris from the elements.
- Do not use harsh cleaning solutions like bleach, acetone, or ammonia on wicker furniture. It can remove the finish or damage the wicker. Never use abrasive cleaners.