Do you want to know how to coach youth roller hockey? Being a youth roller hockey coach takes a lot of work and dedication. Aside from knowing the basics of the game, the coach has to be a good communicator and motivator. Here are some simple steps to become a youth roller hockey coach.
1. Make sure you have the time and energy to coach. Coaching takes an enormous amount of time and organization. Evaluate your talents, make sure you are an effective communicator and know what the demands are.
2. The next step is research. It is important to learn as much about roller hockey and coaching as possible. There are many resources online to help you with your process. Make sure to research the author and/or organization to make sure they are credible. Once you learn more about coaching and the rules of roller hockey, it is time to find a team.
3. Research the area to find any youth roller hockey leagues. Contact their administrators to find out how to become a coach.
4. Once selected to coach a team, it’s time to plan. Communicate with each team member’s parents about schedules and expectations. Plan what drills you’re going to run during which practices. Design practices in advances, that way they have structure and each kid knows what is going on.
5. Once you’re a few practices in, it’s important to evaluate talent. You want to place each team member in an area where it can best help the team. Through different drills, it will be apparent who excels in which areas. This process will continue throughout the season, as each player learns and develops at different times. It is important to continue to monitor how each player is doing.
6. Throughout the season, continue to motivate and encourage each player. They are there because they love roller hockey. Make sure to schedule fun outings after games or have special practices or scrimmages. It keeps things fresh and interesting and will keep them more involved.
Keep in mind coaching is as much a learning process for you as it is for your players. Always keep your mind open for ways to communicate, motivate and organize more efficiently. The more willing you are to learn during the process the more likely you are to enjoy it.
Last night, Italy’s Juventus and Mexico’s Club America played soccer at Citi Field, the home of the Mets. But this match ...
Athletes and sports teams love to roll up big leads, but sometimes, all that does is set the stage for even bigger freef ...
The sports gods, in their benevolence, have finally deigned to end the umpteenth National Hockey League lockout. For thi ...