How To Commit A Family Member To Rehab

If you have a family member who is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you may be wondering how to commit a family member to rehab. Many desperate family members try to cajole and guilt the addict into getting help. However, these tactics often do not work. When you have reached the end of your rope with a family member, there are a couple of things you can do to commit them to rehab.

  1. Have a physician state that they are a danger to themselves. By law, a physician or psychiatrist can place an individual into a rehab facility for a maximum of 72 hours if they are found to be a danger to themselves. The trick is getting the family member to the doctor or psychiatrist so that the can have an examination. If you do, you may be able to have the physician commit a family member to rehab.
  2. Have a physician or police officer state that the family member is a danger to others. If your family member is committing domestic abuse at home, you can call the police and file a report. Tell the officer that your family member is an addict who needs help and that you feel that your life in danger. In this case, under the same law, they can be placed in a treatment facility for up to 72 hours.
  3. Have a physician state that your family member cannot care for himself.  Again, you must first find a way to get your family member to a doctor's office for an examination. If it is found that they are not able to feed and clothe themselves, they can be placed in a treatment facility to get help.

It's not easy to commit a family member to rehab. Even if you succeed in these tactics, the law only allows the person to be held for 72 hours. If your family member truly has a problem, consider staging an intervention with a professional so that they can be active in receiving the treatment that they need.

show comments

What Others Are Reading Right Now.