Knowing how to condition dry, stiff leather can bring what seems like garbage back to life. It is a simple process but may need to be repeated several times before the leather is back in good shape.
What you'll need:
- Hand vacuum
- Soft brush
- Leather cleanser
- Leather conditioner
- Leather sealant
- Leather polish
- Water and stain leather protective spray
- Dry, clean cloths
- Warm water
- Vacuum the leather with the small hand vacuum. This is to make sure the leather is free of dirt, mold or dust.
- Brush the dry leather. A soft brush will not harm the leather while removing any dirt from the nooks and crannies found in leather.
- Make a solution to clean your leather, following the directions of leather cleanser mixed with warm water.
- Dip the cloth into the cleansing solution. Rub the dry leather with the cloth to remove any stains and ground in dirt and oils.
- Dip a dry, clean cloth into warm water. Rub the stiff leather with the cloth thoroughly to remove the cleansing solution.
- Dry the leather partially using the air dry method. Do not allow the leather to dry all the way or you will have stiff leather after you finish.
- Apply a leather conditioner to the semi-damp leather. Do not saturate the leather with the conditioner.
- Dry the leather thoroughly. The conditioner needs to penetrate the pores of the leather to condition properly.
- Polish the leather with the leather polish and a dry clean cloth. Use the cloth to rub the polish into the leather, which will seal the conditioner and buff into the leather.
- Spray the leather with the protective spray. The protective spray ensures that your leather stays conditioned longer.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.