How To Configure Your Dial Up For Fast Surfing
If you need to learn how to configure your dial up for fast surfing, then the tips below should help you. Dial-up surfing is inexpensive but a lot slower than DSL or wireless. Many people that live in rural areas do not have a choice other than to have dial up service. You need to optimize your computer to configure your dial up for fast surfing.
- Check connections. Check the dial-up connection cord. If it is loose then you will experience slower surfing. Check telephone jacks and lines. The condition of the telephone cords and jacks needs to be inspected. If any lines have any wear on them purchasing new telephone cords will help speed up your dial up for fast surfing. Call your telephone company and ask them to test your telephone lines.
- Check your modem. If you have an older modem it might be time to upgrade it. You will need to contact your ISP and request a new modem. Ask them to configure your dial up for fast surfing. There may be some updates they can do before they will give you a new modem.
- Do a system cleanup. If you have not cleared out cookies or temporary files in a while, run a disk cleanup. Windows has a utility for this. Click "Start"–"All Programs"–"Accessories"–"System Tools". Select "Disk Cleanup" and select the hard drive (C:). It will show you a list of files you can delete. Review these files then click "OK". These instructions will work in Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. This is another way to configure your dial up for fast surfing.
- Clean Cookies and Browsing History. To clear the cookies and browsing history in Internet Explorer, click "Tools" from the menu bar and choose "Internet Options". Click the "General" tab and select "Delete". If you use Firefox, click "Tools and Options" and click the "Privacy" tab. You should do this regularly.
- Run virus scan. Update your virus software and run a full scan. If you have any viruses or malicious software it can cause slow surfing on your dial up connection.
The steps above should help configure your dial up for fast surfing. Just a few things can make a lot of difference.