How To Connect Car Subwoofer To Home Stereo
If you want to create a truly unique sound system in your home, than you need to learn how to connect a car subwoofer to home stereo. This can be achieved through just a few simple steps, allowing you to transform your home stereo system. The following guide will help you connect car subwoofers to your home stereo.
To connect car subwoofer to home stereo, you will need:
- Speaker wire
- Wire stripper
- RCA red and white cable
- Electrical tape
12 volt battery or computer power supply
- To run your subwoofer, you will need either a 12 volt battery or a computer power supply. The latter will be much cheaper.
- Next, you need to find the max wattage of your amp. This can usually be found on a sticker on the side of the amp. Divide the max wattage for 12 volts by 12. This will allow you to assess how much power the amp will need to reach full power.
- Next, look at the wire at the back of your power supply. If you are using a computer power supply, you will need to use a paperclip to trick the power source into believing that it is attached to a computer. Simply bend the paperclip into a "U" shape and stick one end in the green wire hole and the other into the black wire hole. Use tape to secure it.
- Find the four pin molex connector. Make sure the power supply is not connected to your amp. Cut all four wires off the back of the connector.
- Strip the yellow wire and the black wire. Wrap the red wire in electrical tape to prevent it from shorting. You will not need the red wire. Cut about two inches off of the black wire and strip the ends of it. Cover the end of the black wire with electrical tape.
- Next, you will need to use a screwdriver to loosen the three power screws at the back of the amp. Screw the yellow wire onto the screw marked positive or 12V+. Screw the black wire into the GND screw.
Use the piece of spare wire from cutting the black wire and stretch it between the positive screw and the REM screw.
- Next, you will need to use some speaker cable to attach the amp and the subwoofer. You can do this by stripping the wire and attaching one end to the terminals on the back of the subwoofer and one end to the back of the amp. Make sure the positive terminals are connected to the other positive terminals and the negative to the negative.
Use a red and white RCA input cable and attach it to from your amp to your home stereo.
You have now successfully connected a car subwoofer to a home stereo.