To watch a movie from your computer or show off a PowerPoint presentation on a home-theater screen, you need to learn how to connect your desktop computer to a plasma TV. Plasma televisions offer larger viewing areas, and let you double up your monitor output for two simultaneous viewing options.
You will need:
- Desktop computer with video output
- Connecting cables
- Plasma television
- Check your desktop outputs. Depending on your computer's video card, your desktop may have a variety of outputs. VGA, or the newer DVI are the most common, but you may have an HDMI, component, or RCA outputs as well.
- Find a compatible input. Most plasma TVs have component and HDMI inputs, but a select few may have a VGA/DVI option as well. Locate an input that your desktop and television have in common. If necessary, most of these plugs can be adapted to work with each other using converter cables found at an electronics store.
- Connect the devices. Both the desktop and plasma TV should remain off while the making the connection.
- Configure the computer. Turn on the desktop and access your video card's options. Set the television to display as a second monitor. Without setup, many cards default to duplicating the desktop's screen on the television.
- Select the television input. Note the label next to the input plug on the plasma TV, and use your television remote to select the correct input. If there is no label, scroll through the inputs until you see your computer screen on the television.
With your desktop connected to a plasma TV, everything you can do on your computer you can do on your television. Watch movies, browse the Internet, create documents or play games. You may have to alter your desktop's resolution to receive the best picture quality, as your computer monitor and plasma TV probably have different settings.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.