To fully utilize your DVR, you will want to learn how to connect DVR to Internet. A DVR or Digital Video Recorder is a device which can be hooked up to your TV to record your favorite programs. DVR's are capable of much more than just recording television. Many DVR's will allow you to stream music or video from the internet among other features. It is necessary to connect your DVR to the Internet to enjoy these additional features and so that it can download necessary guide information to function properly on a daily basis. The process of how to connect DVR to Internet varies slightly based on which DVR you have, but the general idea is the same and quite simple.
What is required:
- Cat-5 networking cable or Wireless adapter
- Locate the ethernet port on the DVR. Look at the back-side of the DVR. Typically the ethernet port is clearly marked. The ethernet port looks like a wide version of a telephone port.
- Plug the Cat-5 cable into the DVR. Plug one end of the Cat-5 cable into the DVR. Cat-5 or ethernet cable resembles a telephone cord, except much wider at the ends. If you are using a wireless adapter, common with TiVo DVR's, simply connect the Wireless Adapter to the USB port on the back of the DVR.
- Plug the other end of the Cat-5 cable into a router. Your router is typically close to your computer. If you are unsure of which device is your router, contact your network administrator. If you are using a wireless adapter, skip this step.
- Restart the DVR. Power down the DVR completely and turn it back on. This will give the DVR a chance to configure the network.
- Configure the DVR. Some DVR units may not automatically configure the internet settings. You may need to make changes in the "Settings" menu in order to allow your DVR to connect to Internet. Consult your DVR's manual for more information.
Tips & Troubleshooting:
- Configuration settings vary between each DVR, many automatically configure settings to connect to Internet.
- Wireless adapters are the best solution if your DVR is far away from your router or modem.
- Broadband Internet works best for connect your DVR to Internet.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)