If you want to learn how to connect a router to your computer, you may find the process confusing at first. Routers are almost all wireless now, with the option to run a wired connection as well. Routers are used to connect your laptop with a wireless connection throughout your house or are wired to a desktop computer. Desktop computers do not usually come with wireless capability.
To connect a router, you will need:
- A router and driver disk
- Ethernet cables
- An internet connection
- A desktop computer and/or laptop computer
- Plug your router into a power outlet. Turn on your computer.
- Put the router's driver disk into the computer. Run the software.
- Attach the ethernet cable running from your modem into your router where it says "Modem." For desktop computers, run an ethernet cable from the router to the back of your desktop computer. There will be a port in the back where the ethernet cable fits.
- For laptops with wireless capability, install the router driver software. You will need to configure your laptop to pick up on the wireless connection.
- Go to the "Start" menu on the bottom left of your computer, then go to "Connect to…" Select the wireless network from the list of connections.
You should now be able to use your router with both your desktop computer and your laptop computer. If you are having any problems getting your router to work, call your router's help line and ask a customer service representative to assist you in getting your router system to work. Some computers need special configurations.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?