How To Connect Two Computers
Need to know how to connect two computers? Connecting two computers can become necessary for several reasons. If you are upgrading to a new computer, you might want to transfer files and settings to the new computer from the old one. You might also want to network two computers so you can transfer files back and forth all the time, or share resources such as a printer. While you can use a single ethernet crossover cable or USB cable to do this, an easier way is just to use a router. A router can set up networking information instead of you having to manually enter it. This has become a low cost and simple way to connect two computers. Follow these steps to learn how to connect two computers.
To connect two computers, you will need:
- An ethernet cable
- A high speed internet connection
- A router
- Two computers running Windows
- Set up both computers in a location where you can work with them. If they are only being attached temporarily, it may be easiest to use them in the same room. Otherwise, you can run cable to span the distance.
- Power on both computers. If they are connected to the internet already, then this process may be easier.
- Set up the router in a central location. Power on the router.
- Attach an ethernet cable to the internet source at your home, such as a modem, and to the internet port on the router. Attach an ethernet cable from a port on the router to the network card on each computer.
- Go to one of the two computers. Click the "Start" button. Go to "Network" or "My network places," depending on the version of Windows.
- Search for the other computer over the network . Temporarily turn off any antivirus programs as they can interfere with computer networking if you cannot find the other computer. Try to find the computer again.
- When you find the name of the computer you want to access, double click to open it. You will be shown the shared resources on the other computer. Enter a username and password for the other computer if you are prompted to.
- To share a folder on one of the computers, right click the folder and go to the properties option. Click the sharing tab at the top of the window.
- Click "Advanced sharing." Now click the box next to "Share this folder." Save these settings by clicking "OK" on each window. You should now be able to access this folder on the other computer.
An even easier way to share files between two computers is to use a USB flash drive. This is a device that you simply plug into a USB port on one computer, drag and drop files onto, and then insert into the USB port on the second computer. This is great for smaller files.