How To Connect Your Wii To The Internet
Looking for information on how to connect your Wii to the Internet? By connecting your Wii to the Internet, you can play games, play friends that are located throughout the world, and access fun Wii channels. There are no costs associated with connecting your Wii to the Internet, except for the monthly fee that you pay for your Internet access already, of course. You will find directions for connecting your Wii to the Internet via a wired and wireless network below.
To connect your Wii to the Internet, you will need:
- A Wii console
- A wireless or wired network
- A Wii LAN Adapter (for wired networks only)
- A television
- A Wii remote
- Open Your Wii Connection Settings. To open your Wii connection settings, click on the Wii icon, which is located on the bottom left of your screen when your Wii is powered on. You will then need to click on Wii Settings. When the Wii Settings screen loads, click on the arrow to go to the next page and select "Internet." You can then click on "Connection Settings" from the Internet screen.
- Selecting A Connection. You will notice three connection icons when you access the "Connection Settings" screen. Click on the first unused icon and then select "Wireless Connection" or "Wired Connection."
- Setting Up A Wired Connection. If you clicked on "Wired Connection," your Wii will automatically look for the connection as long as you have connected the Wii LAN Adapter, which will need to be purchased separately. If your Wii asks to perform a system update, click "Yes" and then "I Accept." Once the update is done, your Wii will be connected to the Internet.
- Setting Up A Wireless Connection. If you clicked on Wireless Connection, you will be asked to choose an access point. It is recommended that you click on "Search for an Access Point," which will allow your Wii to detect your Internet on its own. When your Wii has found an Internet connection, click OK and select the network that belongs to you. If a password is required, you will need to use the on screen keyboard to enter the password. Click "OK" when the password has been entered. If your Wii asks to perform a system update, click "Yes" and then "I Accept." Once the update is done, your Wii will be connected to the Internet.
Tip: You should always allow your Wii to search for your wireless Internet connection on its own, otherwise you will be forced to enter information that you may not know, such as your IP and MAC address.