How To Convert Audio Files
There are many reasons to learn how to convert audio files. Many portable devices will only accept audio files in certain formats therefore it is important to learn how to convert audio files if you own a portable music player with such limitations. Certain programs or pieces of audio equipment are also format specific; therefore, it can be beneficial to learn how to convert audio files for use with these devices. Many individuals find it easier to maintain their entire music collection in a single format, again making it important to learn how to convert audio files. There are many different ways of converting audio files. This guide will assume that you have access to a Windows based computer with an Internet connection.
- Download an audio converter. Downloading a converter will necessary for the conversion of audio files. Download one of the many free audio converters such as "Any Audio Converter" which you can find in the resources below. Use the step by step installation wizard to install the audio converter once the download has completed.
- Open the audio converter. Open the audio converter by clicking on the shortcut found on the desktop or start menu. Close any popup screens that may appear such as "Tip of the Day" or "Updates".
- Import your audio files. Click the button that says either "Import" or "Open" to import your audio files. Select one audio file or multiple audio files to convert at the same time. Confirm that your audio files appear in the list of files to be converted.
- Set conversion options. Set the conversion options for the audio files before beginning the conversion. Select the resulting file type such as "Mp3", "Ogg", "WMA", etc. Choose the bit rate if you need a specific bit rate, otherwise only choose the file type.
- Convert audio files. Click the button that says either "Start Conversion", "Start" or "Begin". Wait patiently for the audio files to be converted. Converting more files at once will take a longer time to complete the conversion process.
- Macintosh users should download a free program such as Max Audio Converter to convert audio files.
- Linux users should search in their respective package managers for free available software based on their distribution of Linux.