How To Convert A Van Into A Camper
Be frugal and think about how to convert a van into a camper. If you have an old van or just some free time and want to be creative, converting a van into a camper is a great use for something that might be sitting idle. Mini-vans don't offer as much power and frame capacity as full sized vans, but the list of what you can do is only limited by your budget and imagination.
Things you'll need:
- Two by four lumber
- Portable toilet
- Circular shower rod and shower curtain
- Standard RV air conditioner
- Start by emptying the van of everything. Take out back row seats, seat belts and other items you don't want in the camper. This gives a clear view of the work space.
- You can go simple by just building some single bed frames from two by four lumber. You could make bunk beds on one side to maximize space. Put a portable potty in the back and install a circular shower rod with curtain for privacy. Use portable camping stoves for meal preparation.
- If you are more adventurous, add roof air conditioning. You can cut into the roof using any number of tools, like a grinder, and place a standard RV air conditioning unit on top. With appropriate 12V wiring to a power breaker, you are all set for cool sleeping.
- Even more advanced builders may want to cut off some portion of the van body and build an entire camper frame onto the van. This gives you the most options for being creative, but is also the most time consuming and expensive of the options.
Depending on your skill level, converting a van into a camper is a fun and rewarding project!