If you or one of your Christmas guests is a vegetarian or vegan, you’ll need to know how to cook an alternative Christmas dinner to keep everyone satisfied. Tofu turkeys are a popular alternative to real meat and keep the traditionally turkey theme of Christmas. It’s not going to taste exactly like meat, but following these directions will assure you a delicious, alternative, vegan dinner that everyone can enjoy.
You will need:
- 1 tofu turkey
- 2 potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- Defrost the tofu turkey. Move your Christmas dinner tofu turkey from your freezer to your fridge at least a day before you plan to cook it. An unopened tofu turkey can last a month in a fridge, so there’s no worry of it going bad. If you forget to defrost it ahead of time, just run it under warm water for about 60 seconds before taking off the casing and cook it for an extra two hours one it’s in the oven. Don’t microwave to thaw!
- Prep the veggies and basting sauce. While you’re waiting for your tofu turkey to finish defrosting, chop your vegetables and set aside. Mix olive oil, soy sauce and sage together to create a basting sauce for your tofu turkey and set aside.
- Prep the tofu turkey. Once thawed, use scissors or a knife to take the plastic packaging off of your tofu turkey. Place it in a casserole dish that has a snug top. Place your chopped veggies around the tofu turkey like a traditional roast. Use half of your basting sauce to cover your tofu turkey and veggies.
- Cook. Place the casserole dish in the oven at 350F for one hour and fifteen minutes. Remember, if your didn’t thaw out the tofu turkey beforehand, you’ll need to cook it for three hours and fifteen minutes instead. Ten minutes before it’s done, take it out and pour the rest of your basting sauce on the roast. Return to oven and finish cooking.
- Serving. The key to serving tofu turkey for Christmas dinner is keeping the slices thin. Use a bread knife or any serrated knife to carve and serve your tasty alternative Christmas feast.
- For an alternative dinner flavor, try using one tablespoon apricot jam, three tablespoons soy sauce, one tablespoon toasted sesame oil and two tablespoons water as your basting sauce.
- If you’re looking to create vegetarian or vegan gravy and other traditional Christmas dinner foods, the same companies that sell tofu turkeys usually also sell other holiday food alternatives.
The holidays are awesome and awesomely stressful. You’ve got to buy the right gifts, impress the right people ...
It’s the time of year to step up your culinary game, and serving proper prime rib is a manly way to impress the whole da ...
Who said meat-eating was a requirement for being a man? Okay, so the cavemen did, actually. And since the dawn of mankin ...