To add some spicy Peruvian flavor to your next dinner party or barbecue, learn how to cook anticucho de res. These tender, flavorful kebobs are perfect as an appetizer or served with grilled corn on the cob and boiled potatoes for a complete meal. Traditional anticucho de res feature beef hearts, but you can use lean sirloin steak, too.
- 3 lbs. beef heart or sirloin steak, cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, diced
- 1-1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 to 4 dried chilies (you can substitute 3 tsp. aji panca, aji amarillo or hot paprika)
- Wooden or metal meat skewers
- Place meat for your anticucho de res in a single layer in a large pan. A single layer allows each piece to soak up more of the marinade. You’ll want a pan with a high lip to help keep the marinade from overflowing.
- Place wooden skewers in water to soak. The water helps prevent the wooden skewers from catching fire while grilling your anticucho de res.
- If using dried chilies, soak them in hot water prior to mixing. Then de-vein, remove seeds and dice. The more seeds you leave in, the hotter the finished marinade.
- Combine all ingredients (except meat) and mix into a thick, saucy anticucho de res marinade. You may not need all of the olive oil, depending on how thick you want your final sauce.
- Pour marinade over meat and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes. To prevent tough, dry kebobs, do not marinate more than 30 minutes. Vinegar will dry out and toughen meat if allowed to soak for too long.
- Grill skewers approximately two minutes per side for medium to medium-well anticucho de res kebobs. Baste with leftover marinade as needed to prevent dryness.
Notes: To get the best, most authentic Peruvian flavor, use a natural or charcoal fire, as opposed to a gas grill. Allow the marinade to drip on coals and flare periodically. The slightly charred flavor, without burning the kebobs, is part of what makes learning how to cook anticucho de res more authentic.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.