Learn how to cook asparagus on the grill and balance out that meat with some greens. To cook asparagus on the grill you need to buy thin asparagus. If the asparagus is thick, it will burn on the outside before it is done. Be careful not over cook the asparagus. Asparagus is bought in a bunch at the store and you will need 1 to 1 1/2 pounds for four servings. A bunch of asparagus will contain fourteen to eighteen spears. You should plan on serving three to five spears per person.
To cook asparagus you will need:
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb asparagus
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash the asparagus. Shake off excess water.
- Cut off the ends of the asparagus where the color starts to change from light green to dark. Discard the small light, white ends. Instead of cutting the asparagus, you can hold both ends of the asparagus and bend it until it breaks. Discard the light, white ends.
- In a bowl add the oil or melted butter, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle or brush on the oil mixture making sure the asparagus is well covered on all sides. The oil will keep the asparagus from drying out.
- Place the asparagus side by side on the hot grill. Grill for six to eight minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Turn the asparagus with tongs a couple of times while it is cooking. Cook the asparagus over medium heat.
- For easier grilling, you can place the asparagus on skewers. It makes it much easier to turn the asparagus. After seasoning the asparagus you can take two skewers and place one skewer through the asparagus near the top. Take another skewer and place the skewer through the asparagus near the bottom. Add asparagus to the two skewers leaving a little space between each skewer. If you use bamboo skewers, soak the skewers in water for fifteen minutes before using them. Soaking the skewers keeps them from burning while they are on the grill. Turn the skewers with tongs a couple of times while the asparagus is cooking.
- You can also place the asparagus on a piece of aluminum foil after you have seasoned it. Fold the aluminum foil over the asparagus to make a packet. Be careful when opening the packet, as hot steam comes out of the packet when you open it. Remove from grill when tender.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.