How To Cook Baby Food
It’s easy to learn how to cook baby food. When you cook baby food instead of buying it, you can control what is in the food and save money. It also makes it easier for the baby to transition from baby food to the food the family eats.
If you want to cook baby food, you will need:
- Food mill
- Storage containers
- Ice cube tray
- Sealable bags
- Peel fruits. Some fruits like bananas may be simply mashed with a fork. Firmer fruits such as pears or apples should be cooked and then pureed.
- Cook vegetables in a saucepan with a small amount of water until tender. Puree the cooked vegetables with a blender or by passing through a food mill. When you cook baby food no salt, sugar, or fat is added.
- Use frozen produce. When you cook baby food it’s convenient to use fruits or vegetables that are frozen since they are already, peeled, sliced or chopped. Be sure they have no added fat, salt or sugar. Cook them, drain well and blend them.
- Store in small portions. Put just enough for one portion for your baby in small plastic storage containers. Alternatively, you can freeze the purees in ice cube trays and then put them in sealable bags as well.
- Feed the baby what the family eats. Many foods that the family eats for dinner can also be served to the baby as long as the portion is taken out for the baby before seasoning it for the family.
- Avoid high-nitrate vegetables. These vegetables include spinach, cabbage, celery, beets, carrots broccoli, lettuce and greens. They can cause breathing problems for a baby if they eat large quantities of them. Only one or two tablespoons should be included in a baby’s meal