How To Cook Beef Stew
you can serve a hearty dish for dinner when you learn how to cook beef stew. Beef stew is a universal dish that can be flavored with many different ingredients. Whether you are a meat and potatoes person or a southern style cook, you can make the perfect beef stew to your taste by adding spices or wine.
To cook beef stew, you will need:
- 1 pound of beef for stewing
- 1 potato
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 carrots
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 quart water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup oil
Prepare the ingredients for beef stew. Wash all the vegetables. Peel and cut the potato into one inch cubes. Peel the carrots and slice into 1/2 pieces. Cut off both ends of the celery stalks and chop into 1.2 in pieces. Peel the onion and dice.
- Wash the beef and cut into one inch cubes. Sprinkle all sides of the meat with salt and flour.
- Brown the beef. Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pot for three minutes over a medium high heat. Place the salt and flour covered meat in the bottom of the pot and cook for three minutes before turning to brown the other side.
- Vegetables. Add the vegetables to the browned meat and brown the vegetables until they are lightly browned. Cook for about five minutes stirring frequently.
- Cook the beef stew. Add the water, bay leaves, and bouillon cubes to the beef and vegetables in the pot. Stir to mix thoroughly. When the beef stew is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for 60 to 90 minutes. Check the vegetables for doneness with a fork, salt to taste and serve.
You can experiment with beef stew by adding ingredients that will add flavor like wine, tomatoes, or hot sauce. Just remember, when browning the beef, use care not to let if burn. The burnt flavor will ruin the taste of the beef stew.