Enjoy one of the most nutritious vegetables by learning how to cook broccoli. This flowery dark green vegetable has a light flavor, making it the perfect vegetable to add to almost any dish or meal. Broccoli can be gently steamed, cooked in the microwave or stir fried in hot oil. No matter which method you choose for cooking broccoli, it will make a great addition to break, lunch or dinner.
To cook Broccoli, you will need:
- Microwave, pan or skillet
- Ziplock bag (for microwave method of cooking)
- Prepare broccoli for cooking. Cut the florets (the flower and an inch or less of stem) from the bunch of broccoli. Note: The further down the stem the tougher and more fibrous the meat of the broccoli. Wash the broccoli in clear water.
- Steaming broccoli. Place the broccoli in a sauce pan with a lid. Add one to two inches of water, depending on how much broccoli you have and how large the pan. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Lower to a medium and steam covered until the broccoli is just tender. Check for tenderness after three minutes by piercing with a fork. The fork should slide into the broccoli easily. Add additional cooking time (one minute at a time) until cooked to perfection.
- Microwave broccoli. Place the freshly rinsed broccoli in a plastic Ziplock bag. Zip the bag until it is halfway closed. Place the broccoli-filled bag on a plate and place in the microwave on high for two minutes. Let the broccoli stand for two minutes. Note: After the microwave cooking is finished, the food temperature continues to rise and the cooking continues for several minutes. This is why you let the food stand for a few minutes. Check for tenderness. Add more time to cooking at 30 second intervals until tender.
- Stir fry broccoli. Place a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Place the freshly rinsed broccoli in the hot oil and stir for two minutes. Note: Add any spices, onion, garlic, or flavoring when you add the broccoli. Add ¼ cup water, cover the skillet and lower the heat to simmer and cook for three to five minutes until tender.
Tips & Warnings:
- Once you have learned how to properly cook broccoli, add it sliced to your breakfast omelet, have it over a baked potato for lunch and stir fry it with onion and garlic for a side dish at dinner and reap the benefits of this amazing cholesterol lowering vegetable.
- When streaming broccoli in a plastic zip bag, use extreme caution when draining the water from the bag to avoid serious steam burns.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Mind-Blowing Necktie Knots
“How many knots are there?” you ask. Dozens, at least, most of which will totally amaze you.
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…