How To Cook Cabbage
If you are looking to try a new veggie tonight, you may want to know how to cook cabbage. Be prepared. Cabbage smells strong, but tastes great! Cooked cabbage can be used in many recipes, but this is just a basic method for how to cook cabbage.
To learn how to cook cabbage you will need:
- A knife
- A cutting board or other cutting surface
- A pot or deep pan
- A strainer or colander
- Peel off the outer layer of the cabbage. Just remove any old or discolored looking leaves.
- Cut the cabbage in quarters. Cut in half, and then cut each half again.
- Remove the core of the cabbage. The next step in knowing how to cook cabbage is to recognize the core. The core is the tough innermost part of the cabbage. It should be easy to spot. Remove it from each quarter.
- Chop the cabbage. There are different methods for this step. Some chefs just cut each quarter one or two times. Others cut it down to the consistency of shredded lettuce. Either way, it is easier to chop if you tear the cabbage quarters into one or two layers first.
- Rinse the cabbage. When learning how to cook cabbage, it's easy to forget this step. Toss the cabbage in a strainer or colander and run tap water through it. Toss it around a bit to remove any dirt.
- Boil the cabbage. There are different methods of how to cook cabbage when it comes to this step too. Some put in enough to cover the cabbage. Others just put an inch of water in the bottom of the pot. Either way, put a lid on it to keep in more flavor and nutrients.
- Test the cabbage. Depending on how finely you chop the cabbage, it will take a different amount of time to cook. For shredded cabbage you will want to check it after three minutes or so. Chunks and wedges will take ten to twenty minutes. You can run a bit under cold water and check for consistency. You want the cabbage to be tender, not mushy.
- Season to taste. Some like their cabbage "naked" while others prefer it with salt and pepper, butter, or other seasonings. This is where you can get creative!
That's all there is to it. Learning how to cook cabbage perfectly isn't very hard. The most important thing to remember is to not overcook it. Other than that just have fun letting your inner chef shine!