How To Cook With A Convection Oven
How to cook with a convection oven is relatively easy, because the oven cooks food faster at lower temperatures and distributes heat more evenly. The best way to use a convection oven is to read the manual then use it. Try some recipes in the convection oven and experiment. The oven circulates hot air with a fan, and cooking times vary depending on the model you buy. Most true convection ovens are built into the wall or part of a regular oven. The countertop models are generally not as good as the built in models. Electric heat works better than gas. A convection oven browns meats, pastries and breads more effectively. It is good for baking and roasting meats or vegetables. Follow the tips below when cooking with a convection oven.
- Use shallow pans. Convection oven cooking is good for cookie sheets and shallow pans. Some ovens come with special pans that let air circulate around the food you are cooking. Be sure to use the proper pans when cooking in a convection oven.
- Bake at conventional oven temperatures. When baking a recipe, bake at a conventional oven temperature but for a shorter period of time. Remember, a convection oven bakes more quickly. This is because of the air circulation.
- Bake at lower temperatures. Bake the recipe the same amount of time but lower the temperature 25 degrees. This seems to be the most effective method used for effective baking in a convection oven.
- Roasting meat and poultry. Do not preheat the oven but place the meat on roasting rack for better browning. Times will be shorter so watch the meat carefully when cooking. Some ovens have an element for broiling to brown meat more effectively. Learn to use this correctly.
Do not reduce temperatures for small roasts. Do not reduce temperature for roasts or birds three to five pounds. An average temperature of 375 degrees often get excellent result for small chickens, roasts or turkeys. Times vary but an hour or less is usually the proper time.
- Cookies bake well. Depending on your oven, you may be able to bake several pans of cookies in your oven. They brown quickly and often, temperature reduction is needed. Be careful. Use consistent temperatures and times when baking.
- Manufacturers to consider when buying. Good manufacturers of convection ovens are Amana, Decor, GE, Gagganau, Frigidare, Kenmore, KitchenAide, Thermador and Viking. They make electric self-cleaning models.
- Baking cakes adjustments. When baking cakes, adjust the temperatures lower. It may take longer than in the conventional oven. Some ovens have an option for browning more.
- Choose large countertop models with good fans. When choosing a countertop model, look for a large one with a good fan that is in a position to distribute the air. The best models are Breville and DeLonghi for quality countertop models.