How To Cook Corned Beef
Every man should learn how to cook corned beef. Corned beef is usually a cut of beef brisket, the main ingredient in a classic Reuben sandwich, and can be found at most major supermarkets, and delicatessens. There are a multitude of ways to prepare a delicious corned beef meal, but today we will focus on the Irish-American tradition of Corned Beef and cabbage, usually prepared for a St. Patrick's day feast. This is a Crock-Pot classic, and though it requires a long cook time, the safety of a Crock-Pot or slow cooker, ensures that the cooking process requires very little supervision.
To cook Corned Beef and Cabbage you will need:
- 1 (3 to 4 lb) Corned beef brisket with a spice packet
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 lb of carrots (baby carrots are easier to use, but peeled and diced regular carrots work just as well)
- 1 bottle of dark beer (stouts or porters work well, but cater to your personal taste)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 to 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into 4 wedges
- 3 tbsp of spicy brown mustard
- 6 to 8 cups of water (enough to submerge the corned beef)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Turn your slow cooker on high to get it nice and hot.
- Start by covering all sides of the the roast in spicy brown mustard. Cut three slits into the meat and place each garlic clove inside the roast. This will ensure the flavor of garlic is embedded deep inside the meat and will spread throughout as it cooks.
- Slow cookerThen place the cut of corned beef in your slow cooker, add the bottle of beer, and cover the roast with water until it is slightly submerged.
- Season Add the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef, as well as an additional 3 to 4 whole peppercorns, and a bay leaf.
- Onion Add the onion to the pot, placing one wedge on each side of the roast.
- Cover and simmer on medium heat for about 4 hours.
- Veggies Add the potatoes and carrots, reduce to low and let simmer for an additional 3 hours.
Add the cabbage.
- More slow cooking Cook for an additional hour to two hours depending on the doneness of the cabbage.
- Remove cabbage Using a slotted spoon remove the cabbage from the pot and lay it on a large serving dish.
- Remove the corned beef, place it on top of the cabbage and slice across the grain of the meat.
- Add veggies Surround the corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots.
Make it juicy. Ladle some of the juice in the pot over the roast, and if you wish, season with salt, pepper, and additional mustard.
Side note: Some people prefer to cook the meat and vegetables together for the full eight hours. This will create very soggy carrots and potatoes that have a wonderful flavor, and this approach is much easier if you don't have the time to keep going back to the crock pot every few hours. Just keep an eye on the temperature, as high heat for extended periods of time will make the water boil over.