Learn how to cook deer meat so that is moist and flavorful. Deer meat has a reputation for being dry and tough, but that's because it's often prepared incorrectly. Deer meat is very lean and benefits from being marinated.
To cook deer meat, you need:
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless venison steaks
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Steps to cook deer meat:
- Place the venison steaks in a large resealable plastic bag. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour half of the marinade over the venison steaks. Seal the bag and turn it to coat the vension steaks.
- Refrigerate the vension steaks overnight to marinate. Refrigerate remaining marinade.
Drain and discard the marinade from the venison steaks.
- Preheat your oven broiler. Spray a broiling pan with cooking spray and broil the marinaded steaks 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 4 minutes.
- Turn the venison steaks over. Baste the steaks with the reserved marinade. Broil 4 minutes longer, basting often, or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F for medium or 170 degrees F for well-done.
Alternatively, cook venison steaks on a grill over medium-high heat (350 to 400 degrees F) for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once (or until cooked to desired degree of doneness). Another option is to grind up deer meat along with a fattier meat, such as bacon, and make deer burgers. Or, mix with ground pork and seasonings to make deer sausage for breakfast.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)