Deer meat is often described as gamey but if you know the secret of how to cook a deer roast, everyone will love you. The wild flavor from deer meat that turns people off is from the blood. There are two things you can do about this. The first is to marinate it and the second is celery. People who eat a lot of wild meat already know this but celery takes out the gamey flavor every time.
To cook a deer roast, you will need:
- Three pounds of deer roast
- Three pieces of bacon
- Large red onion
- Half a bunch of celery
- Four cloves of garlic
- One cup of basil
- Flour to fry roast
- One third cup of olive oil
- Half of a beer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dutch oven
- Five ounces of soy sauce
- Half a cup of kosher coarse salt
- Three quarters a cup of sugar
- Four cloves of crushed garlic
- Three inch piece of ginger – skin removed and sliced into thick discs
- Enough water to cover the meat
- Soak. Combine the marinade ingredients in either a large container or plastic bag. You will never get all the salt to dissolve but give it the old college try and then add the meat. The deer roast should be completely submerged. Let this marinate for 24 hours.
- Prepare. Heat up the oil in your Dutch oven and fry the bacon. While it crisps, chop up the onion, celery, garlic and basil. Remove the finished bacon, but reserve the oil. Eat the bacon like a man and get your half a bottle of beer ready by consuming the other five and half beers while you cook. A strong porter works well for deer meat.
- Sear. Dump the marinade and rinse the roast. To cook a deer roast, you will want to sear it first. Coat it in a little flour, shake off the excess and brown all sides in your bacon oil. Remove the roast, dump in the onions and celery and cook till tender. When almost done, add the garlic.
- Slow cook. Put the roast back in and add the beer. Put on the cover and simmer it on low. Add water to keep it from drying out and cook it for about three hours or until the meat starts to fall apart. Feel free to flip the deer roast around every now and then, but if you are drunk and forget, no worries. When the meat falls apart, add the basil. Then, season with salt and pepper and cook it for another fifteen minutes.
You can eat this like a stew with sourdough bread and salad. Awesome campfire cuisine. Another technique is to remove the deer roast and try to strain out as much of the onion and celery as possible while leaving the juice. Add two tablespoons of butter, two tablespoon of flour, pepper, a splash of soy sauce and enough water to make gravy. Gravy from a deer you killed that has been fried in bacon oil is the scent of pure masculinity.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …