Are you seeking an easy recipe to learn how to cook dumplings? Dumplings are a fast, economical way to create a hearty, calorie packed meal from some very basic kitchen staples. Whether the cupboards or refrigerator are virtually bare, or you are just seeking to add something more to a soup or stew, knowing how to cook a basic dumpling recipe is an important skill that you may find useful for many years.
Ingredients for Easy Dumplings:
- 1 ½ c. all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 2 quarts chicken, beef, vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. dried herbs, such as parsley, basil or oregano
Instructions for Cooking Dumplings:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add flour, baking powder and salt to a medium sized mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork. If you are adding dried herbs, you should do so during this step.
- Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Add the milk, egg and oil, being sure to mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened. If you overmix or beat for too long, the dumplings become dry and tough rather than moist!
- Bring the cooking broth or liquid to a boil. Whether you are using broth or a mixture of broth and water, the liquid should come to a heavy rolling boil before you add the dumpling dough to cook.
- Cook the dumplings. Drop rounded tablespoons of dumpling dough onto the boiling cooking liquid. The dumplings will absorb some of the broth flavor as they cook. Cover the cooking pot and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, then uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through. Remember that the top of the dumpling may still look moist and “dough like,” but the inside will be cooked through.
- Season the dumplings and serve. Dumplings will take on some of the flavor of the broth used, but they are still basic balls of cooked dough. Season with salt and pepper and serve in individual serving bowls or as a side dish to beef or chicken.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!