You can choose to cook a hobo dinner three different ways. You can cook a hobo dinner over a campfire, on a grill or in your oven. You can also choose a variety of meat depending on what type of meat you are in the mood for. You can try making a big patty with ground beef, use a pork chop, chicken or sausage. The following recipe is for how to cook a hobo dinner using ground beef, after all an authentic hobo would have to use the cheapest kind of meat. This recipe will make four individual hobo packets; adjust the amounts of vegetables according to personal tastes. The best thing about a hobo dinner is that it is tasty and very easy to prepare plus clean up is a breeze.
To cook a hobo dinner, you will need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 baking potato
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 carrots
- Salt and pepper
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- Cooking spray
- Cook a hobo dinner by adding salt and pepper and any other seasonings to taste such as garlic or Worcestershire sauce to your ground beef. Shape the ground beef into a large patty.
- Slice your pepper and onions into strips. Chop the carrots into bite sized pieces or strips. Feel free to add any type of vegetables you prefer like zucchini.
- Take your baking potato and slice it in half. Make sure you slice the potato lengthwise.
- Lay out the aluminum foil in approximately 14 to 16 inch squares. Lightly spray with cooking oil so that no ingredients stick to the foil.
- Place your ground beef patty between the two halves of the potato. Put the potato and ground beef in the center of your aluminum foil square.
- Put your chopped vegetables on top of the ground beef and potato. Sprinkle some paprika or oregano on top if you like your hobo dinner with a bit more spice.
- Fold the aluminum foil over everything, creating a closed package. If you cook a hobo dinner in a campfire or on a grill wrap it twice so that it does not burn.
- Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for one hour or until the meat is thoroughly cooked and the potato is soft. In a campfire or on the grill it should only need to cook about 45 minutes but check it often until you feel that it is done to your liking.
Be careful when you open up the hobo packet the steam will be very hot.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.