While it baffles our friends across the pond who have never even heard of it, knowing how to cook a London broil will make your evening meals much more pleasant. A London broil cut is merely a fat hunk of flank steak. So your wallet will also be pleased because this is hardly a top shelf cut of meat. But London broil can be quite tasty if you know what you are doing. Basically the goal is to tenderize the tough meat with a little marinade and aloha. Since the fine people of London have nothing to do with the marketing department in US supermarkets, we will skip their bland cuisine options and instead offer up this recipe that hails from the island of Hawaii. To cook a London broil, you will need these items:
- 2 pounds of London broil
- 2 lemons
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 large cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 crushed bay leaves
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of 7-Up
- Prep. There are many choices when wondering how to cook a London broil but the grill is one of the more common and flavorful options so we will explore that one. First dice up your onion, crush your garlic and crumble the bay leaves into a Ziploc bag. Pour in the soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup and add the 7-Up last. Mix this well.
- Time be time. London broil is actually a tough hunk of meat on it's own. The enjoyment of this steak comes from the use of marinades and cross grain slicing of seared flesh. So with this in mind, bag your London broil and coat it well with the marinade and allow it to soak overnight.
- Fire. This one enjoys a quick sear to preserve the juices. When you cook a London broil over the fire, do not stab it with a fork. Use tongs. Set your grill on high and fire that bad boy up. On any high heat grill, make sure the grill is clean as charred hot dogs do not add to the flavor. Brush a little oil on the grill, shake off the marinade and lay the London broil over the fire. Close the lid and and open it after three minutes to rotate the steak in order to get the the desirable cross hatch marks. Repeat with the other side. Depending upon how bloody you like it, you want to grill the London broil for seven to ten minutes.
- Slice. After you cook up your London broil, take it off the grill and place it on a platter. Let it rest for a few minutes and then slice it thinly against the grain. This makes the meat tender. If you wish, add a splash of high quality olive oil followed by a sprinkle of sea salt and crackling or two of fresh pepper and enjoy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!