How To Cook Mash Potato
Learning how to cook mashed potato dishes is simple and easy, requiring very little time or work. An unlimited number of mashed potato varieties can be created using the same simple procedures. With a little imagination and a few additional ingredients, simple mashed potatoes can become unique and flavorful.
Items Needed to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Vegetable peeler
- Knife and cutting board
- Small or large pot
- Colander or strainer
- Potato masher, fork, or electric mixer
Basic Ingredients Needed to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Russet potatoes
- Salt and pepper
Basic Procedures to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Wash potatoes under cold running water. Rub the potatoes to remove any leftover dirt and dust.
- Peel potatoes. Rinse under cold water again to remove any residue leftover from the peel.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Lay potatoes flat and cut into one to two inch pieces.
- Place cut potatoes into pot. Add enough cold water to potatoes to cover about an inch or two above potatoes.
- Bring potatoes to a rapid boil. Reduce heat to medium or medium high and continue cooking at a low boil until potatoes are soft.
- Drain water from potatoes and return potatoes to the pot.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher until chunks are removed. A fork may be used if a potato masher is not available. Additionally, using an electric mixer will create a smoother, creamer mashed potatoes.
- Add a small amount of milk and continue mashing. Continue adding milk and mashing until the desired consistency is reached. Less milk will create a thicker potato; more milk will create softer mashed potatoes.
- Add butter, salt and pepper if desired before serving.
Additions and Variations to Making Mashed Potatoes
- White, yellow and red potatoes can be used in place of russets. The different potato varieties create different textures and flavors. You can also try them leaving the skins on.
- A combination of russet potatoes and sweet potatoes creates a sweeter, more flavorful mashed potato. Use equal amounts of each potato, and cook the same as for the recipe.
- Try adding chopped ingredients, such as onions, garlic, parsley or beets to the potatoes. Boil any of these with the potatoes and mash together.