How To Cook A Polish Christmas Dinner
Get in touch with your tradition or the tradition of your girlfriend and learn how to cook a Polish Christmas Dinner. The Wigilia is the age-old custom for Polish Christmas dinner. It starts off with the patriarch of the home breaking bread or Oplatek. Some basic Christmas dinners include sauerkraut, dumplings, fish and Polish Pierogi. To top off dinner, a remarkable Polish Christmas dessert is Kutya which as a sort of porridge consisting of raisins, honey and nuts.
Polish Pierogi Wild Mushrooms and Sauerkraut
- 1 lb sauerkraut, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 lb wild mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- To cook the filling, saute the sauerkraut, onions and mushrooms in the melted butter.
- Add black pepper the mixture and chill in refrigerator.
- To make the dough, mix flour, eggs, salt and chicken stock together and knead into a ball.
- Separate into mini balls and roll out with rolling pin on powdered top.
- Cut out circles using glass' mouth.
- Fill the center of the flat circle with the sauerkraut and mushrooms.
- Fold in the corners of the dough, close up the ends by pressing them together.
- Boil water and put in the balls of pierogi. Ready pierogi will float
- Fry pierogi with onions and butter until turned golden.
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 50 grams maple syrup
- 50 grams raisins
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup water
- Boil wheat for about one hour.
- Add to hot water poppy seeds, raisins, and nuts till all are swollen.
- Roast nuts till golden brown.
- Grind nuts and poppy seeds in food processor.
- Place wheat in a bowl.
- Add raisins and nuts.
- Incorporate grounded mixture into flour and mix.
- Top kutya with maple syrup.
Kompot or Susz
- 1 dried apple
- 1 Ib Cherries
- 1 cup Currants
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1 Pear
- 1 tsp Clove
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- Boil the fruits with clove in pot of water for 15-20 minutes.
- Blend in food processor.
- Filter out the fruit content from the liquid.
- Add a 1/2 cup sugar to fruit juice.