If you want to know how to cook pork shoulder, know it can be cooked a few different ways, roasting or smoking are the two most common. Roasting the pork shoulder will be the most effective for anyone no matter where you are established, you are cooking in the kitchen not in the yard. If you want to impress that special guest follow the following recipe and they will never know just how easy it was.
What you will need to roast a pork shoulder:
- A five to eight pound pork shoulder
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced well
- 2 tablespoons of ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- 4 tablespoons of mustard powder
- A covered roasting pan with a roasting rack insert
- A quality meat thermometer
- A very large zip-lock bag
How to cook your pork shoulder:
- Make the marinade. In a medium sized bowl mix all the marinade ingredients well, except the dry mustard. The dry mustard will be used later.
- Prepare the pork shoulder for marinating. Remove the shoulder from the packaging, rinse and allow it to drain well. Using a sharp knife cut a checker-board pattern across the top of the fat. This allows the flavors to penetrate to the meat inside. Place the shoulder in the bag, pour the marinade all over it, seal the bag and place in the refrigerator over night.
- Rest your pork shoulder before cooking. About four hours before dinner, remove the pork shoulder from the refrigerator, quickly drain and place fat side up into the roasting pan. Centering on the roasting rack with fat side up will ensure the best quality and more even cooking. Sprinkle the dry mustard lightly all over the top of the pork shoulder, cover the pan and set aside for about and hour.
- Roast the pork shoulder to perfection. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees. By now your shoulder should have rested for its hour. Place the pan into the center of the oven and roast undisturbed for two to three hours before taking a peak. Insert your meat thermometer into the center of the shoulder and you will be looking for an internal temperature of 180 to 190 degrees. Adjust your roasting time to reach the optimum internal temperature before removing from the oven.
- Serve your pork shoulder. Once the pork shoulder has reached the right internal temperature remove it from oven and set aside to rest for around 15-20 minutes. After resting, take the shoulder from roaster, place on a plate and slice to the desired thickness. Serve over rice and spoon a little pan juices over it to blend all the flavors.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.