Before dropping a chunk of cash on the bivalve mollusk treats, it's very important to properly learn how to cook scallops. The small and sweet shellfish are extremely versatile as they can be sauteed, seared, grilled and boiled, but can be easily overcooked, which eliminates the tender texture that makes them delicious. Both bay scallops, which are only about one-half inch in diameter, and sea scallops, which average an inch and a half in diameter, cook very quickly regardless of the preparation method.
How to cook scallops: Sauteing
What you'll need to saute scallops:
- Olive oil
- Large skillet
How to saute scallops:
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Allow the oil to become well heated before continuing.
- Add the scallops to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for two-to-four minutes.
- When the scallops are firm and milky white in color, remove from pan. Serve
How to cook scallops: Searing
What you'll need to sear scallops:
- Olive oil or butter
- Large skillet
How to sear scallops:
- Heat one tablespoon of butter or olive oil in a large skillet. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Place the scallops flat in the pan. Allow to sear for about 30 to 60 seconds or until deep golden brown.
- Flip and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds or browned. Remove from heat. Serve.
How to cook scallops: Grilling
What you'll need to grill scallops:
- Olive oil
- Wooden skewers
- Gas or charcoal grill
How to grill scallops:
- Pre-heat a gas grill over high heat or start a charcoal grill and allow the charcoal to turn completely white. Oil the grill rack well to prevent sticking.
- Toss scallops in a mixture of one tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Thread scallops onto metal or wooden skewers. Equally space about four scallops on each skewer.
- Cook the scallop skewers just until the scallops are cooked through. Grill for about five minutes total, turning the skewers once. Remove from grill and serve.
How to cook scallops: Boiling
What you'll need to boil scallops:
- Large pot
- Large mixing bowl
- Ice water
- Slotted spoon
How to boil scallops:
- Heat a large pot of water until it boils. While the water is heating, prepare an ice bath by combining cold water and ice in a large bowl.
- Salt the boiling water and add the scallops. Allow to cook for about two minutes.
- Remove the scallops from the water using a slotted spoon and place them immediately in the water bath. Once cooled, remove the scallops and serve.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!