How To Cook A Soft Taco Shell
Learning how to cook a soft taco shell is just the first step to enjoying delicious home-made tacos. There are a couple of different varieties of soft taco shells. They can be made with flour or corn tortillas.
To cook a soft taco shell, you will need:
- Flour tortillas
- Small corn tortillas
- A large skillet
- A steamer or pan with a rack
- Two large forks
The first soft taco shell is for what we think of as a traditional type of taco: ground beef, lettuce, cheese and salsa. Instead of the crunchy corn tortilla, you have a soft, crisp shell.
- Heat the oil in the skillet. Carefully put the flour tortilla flat in the oil for about 10 seconds and then flip it over.
- Using the forks, fold the tortilla in half. Hold the top half of the tortilla up out of the oil, making a taco shell shape. Let each side cook in the oil until browned.
- Take the shell out of the oil and let it drain on paper towels. Fill it up with your favorite fillings and enjoy.
This soft taco shell is for a more authentic Hispanic type of taco.
- Take two small corn tortillas and place them over the steam. Let them steam for a few seconds until they are flexible and won’t break when you bend them.
- Put the tortilla together and fold in half. Fill with chopped meat and fillings of your choice.
The type of shell you use depends on what type of meat and fillings you are having. Both of these soft taco shells are delicious and simple to make. Experiment with different combinations to find out what you like best.