No happening dinner party is complete if you don't know how to cook soul food. Soul food is created not only from the freshest, most delicious ingredients, but, a main ingredient in all soul food is love. Soul food is a creation, not just a dish. One of the most delicious soul food dishes to cook is greens. Good old collard greens.
To cook soul food collard greens, you will need:
- A thick piece of fat back. A ham hock will work in case you can't find fat back but it's not the preferred ingredient in this soul food dish.
- 10 lbs of fresh collard greens. It may seem like a lot, but, trust me, it's not. If you like a varied taste and texture, add in some mustard or turnip greens.
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease – no one said soul food was good for ya.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Wash the greens, either collard, mustard and/or turnip, one by one in fresh water. Greens might be one of the sandiest ingredients in all of soul food so make sure to rinse them very well.
- Remove the tougher stems and split the leaves down the middle. Throw away the tough stems and middle stalk. Chops greens into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot and add the fat back. Cook over medium heat just for about 5 minutes into grease forms in the bottom of the stockpot.
- Add in the greens to the stockpot. You might have to add in handfuls at a time and wait a bit for them to wilt. This is why you need 10 lbs of fresh greens. 10 lbs of greens will make 8 healthy servings.
- Add the chicken stock and turn the fire down to its lowest setting. Simmer the greens for at least an hour. No one said cooking soul food was quick.
- Serve steaming hot spoonfuls with a splash of vinegar and a side of corn bread for the best of soul food cooking.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.