How To Cook Thanksgiving Dinner
Learn how to cook Thanksgiving dinner in a few basic steps. Thanksgiving dinner should be very delicious, but not super difficult. For the Thanksgiving dinner dessert you can purchase one at a bakery or make one fresh. The freezer section of the grocer also has tons of desserts which can be baked for Thanksgiving dinner.
Step One: Bake a Turkey
- 12 pound turkey
- 1 stick of butter
- Salt and pepper
- Make sure the turkey is completely defrosted. Wash the turkey inside and out and remove the giblets and neck from the cavity of the turkey.
- Take half of the stick of butter and melt on the stove. With your hands, rub the entire turkey with the melted butter including the cavity.
- Season the entire turkey and place on an aluminum baking pan. Secure the legs with the band of skin at the bottom and tuck the wings underneath the bird.
- Take the rest of the butter and put in the cavity of the bird. Place a half cup of water in the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and cook the turkey for approximately three hours. Check the turkey periodically and baste the bird with the juices.
- Cover the turkey if it browns too quickly. Let the turkey sit for approximately twenty minutes before carving. A Thanksgiving turkey for your guest is only the first step.
Step Two: Make the Dressing
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup apples diced,
- 1/3 cup shallots minced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken stock, homemade best
- 2 teaspoon roasted garlic (roast several garlic cloves 375 degree oven for 15 minutes)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 Tablespoon chives
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- 4-1/2 cups diced white bread croutons, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large skillet melt the butter and add in the onions, apples and shallots. Add in the stock and cook on medium heat.
- Cook the stock until it is reduced half way. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the croutons. Grease a baking dish.
- In a huge bowl mix the home made croutons and the apple mixture. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Bake the dressing until the top of the croutons are very crispy. This dressing is wonderful along side the Thanksgiving turkey. Add a few slices of cranberry sauce from a can to make your Thanksgiving dinner perfect.
Step Three: Make the Mashed Potatoes With Parmesan Cheese
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Boil the potatoes until done and soft. Drain the potatoes.
- Add in the butter, salt and pepper and mash with a mixer on low speed. Add in the milk gradually, testing to see how much is necessary.
- Add in all the cheese and mix again to make the potatoes fluffy. Serve mashed potatoes with some gravy from the turkey drippings.
Step Four: Make the Veggie - French Style Green Beans and Onion Rings
- 2 cans French style green beans
- 1 package onion rings
- Salt and Pepper
- Fry the onion rings in some very hot oil. When they are very crispy, drain on some paper towels.
- Place the canned green beans in a medium size pan and bring to boil. Add in the seasoning.
- Remove the green beans from the pan and put in a serving bowl. Layer the onion rings on top of the green beans.
- Thanksgiving dinner would not be complete without a vegetable. The onion rings can be served separately.
Step Five: Make the Beverage - Ice Tea
- 2 Tea bags
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- Bring to boil two cups of water. Remove from the heat and place two tea bags in the boiling water.
- Let the tea steep for ten minutes. Remove the tea bags and add to a half gallon pitcher.
- Add in the sugar and enough additional water to fill the pitcher. Mix Well to dissolve the sugar.
- Serve over ice for Thanksgiving dinner. Garnish with slices of lemon.