How To Cook A Traditional German Christmas Dinner
Spicing up your holiday dinner is as simple as knowing how to cook a traditional German Christmas dinner. Whether you have Germany heritage or just like tasty German food, these traditional foods will please the whole family and maybe even start your own traditions. You’re welcome to improvise, but stick with these tastes to maintain the German feel.
Goose entrée. Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat! Follow these directions to impress your guests during the holidays with a traditionally German goose entrée.
- 1 goose
- 2 cups water
- half cup beer
- 2 sticks mugwort
- Prepping the goose On the eve of Christmas Eve, take your goose out of the oven and rinse it with water. Dry it off with a cloth and then cover both the inside and outside with salt. Stick it in your fridge, uncovered, for the night.
- Prepping the veggies and kitchen When you’re ready to cook, preheat your over to 475F. Cut up enough apples and onions to stuff your goose and set aside.
- Stuffing the goose Stuff your bird with the cubed apples and onions and two sticks of mugwort. Tie up the end of the bird with a string and place in a roasting pan, adding two cups of water to the bottom of the pan.
- Cooking the goose Cook your goose for half an hour at 475F before reducing the heat to 375F and covering it with aluminum foil. Roast it this way for three and a half to four hours, basting the goose in its own juices every half hour or so.
- Finishing touches Half an hour before you’re ready to serve your goose, take it out of the oven and out of the roasting pan. Pour off all the juices in the roasting pan and save them for other cooking. Replace the goose in the pan and use a culinary brush to cover the outside of the goose with beer. Put the pan back in the oven for approximately half an hour or until the goose is brown and crispy all over.
To drink. Along with their holiday meal and dessert, Germans traditionally drink a mulled wine called Glühwein. Here’s a non-alcoholic version you can make at home.
- 4 cups apple juice
- 2 cups black tea
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- Prepare. Heat apple juice and black tea in a pan but do not let boil.
- Add fruit juice when warm, continue to heat and squeeze in the juice of a lemon and an orange.
- Add seasoning. Add in the peels of both fruits along with sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Serve. Heat without boiling and serve hot.