Most people don't know how to cook turtle meat. Turtle meat is considered a delicacy and can be difficult to find, although it is more readily available in areas with a lot of water such as Florida or California. Of course, you can always trap and kill your own. It has been said that turtle tastes like chicken, but that seems to be the standard statement for any type of odd meat. Even rattlesnake is said to taste like chicken, so why not just eat chicken? Turtle actually tastes more like veal and is versatile, since it is equally good battered and fried or in thick, meaty soup. If you have never cooked turtle meat before, the easiest way to start is by frying it.
You will need:
- Meat from one turtle
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs
- Boil the meat in enough water to cover it completely for about 10 minutes, until the meat is falling off the bone easily.
- After the meat has cooled, remove it from the bones and cut it into small pieces.
- Pour a few inches of oil into a frying pan and turn it on medium heat.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper in a bowl. Crack two eggs into another bowl and beat them thoroughly. Pour the bread crumbs into another bowl.
- Dip each piece of meat into the flour and cover thoroughly. Follow by dipping it into the beaten eggs and then into the bread crumbs.
- Fry the meat in the hot oil until it is browned on both sides. This will take 1 to 2 minutes per side for smaller pieces. Bigger pieces will require more time.
If you do not have bread crumbs handy, you can substitute cracker meal instead. Try a variety of dipping sauces for your meat, such as hot mustard or a horseradish sauce. This makes a great appetizer or a main course, depending on how it is served.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.