How To Cook A Whole Chicken
Learn how to cook a whole chicken and start creating delicious quick and inexpensive meals. The cheapest way to buy chicken is to buy it whole. For a fraction of what you pay for skinless and boneless chicken you can have a whole chicken that will feed six people. Roast it or cook it slowly, chicken make a sensational value meal.
To cook a whole chicken, you will need:
- Chicken (whole)
- Small Potatoes
- Baby Carrots
Cook a whole chicken in the oven
- Prepare the whole chicken for cooking. Remove the whole chicken from the package and remove any plastic restraints from the chicken. Reach inside the chicken cavity and remove the package of giblets and the neck. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Place the chicken in the middle of a baking pan. Soften three to four tablespoons of butter and spread it over the skin of the whole chicken then sprinkle salt over the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the whole chicken for 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven and baste with the cooking juices. Note: Basting a chicken is to use a spoon to pick up the juices in the bottom of the pan and spoon them over the whole chicken. Place the freshly washed potatoes and carrots in the bottom of the pan around the chicken. Bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees F. Chicken takes eight to 10 minutes per pound to cook.
Cook a whole chicken in a crock pot.
- Prepare the whole chicken for cooking. Remove the whole chicken from the package and remove any plastic restraints from the chicken. Reach inside the chicken cavity and remove the package of giblets and the neck. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Spray the inside of the crock pot with non stick spray.
- Placed the whole chicken in the crock. Add any spices, a layer of butter, or herbs. Place the lid on the crock pot and set on low. Cook for seven to eight hours. Remove the chicken from the crock pot and serve with baked potatoes and steamed carrots. Spoon the cooking juices in the bottom of the crock pot over the vegetable to add greater flavor.
- Alternative for cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot. Wash the small potatoes and baby carrots. Place them in the bottom of the crock pot and place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Spread a light coat of olive oil or butter on the chicken and add your favorite spices or herbs. Cover the pot and cook on low for seven to eight hours. Remove the chicken from the crock pot and place on a serving platter. Surround the chicken with the cooked vegetables and serve. These will be the best potatoes and carrots you have ever eaten. Note: use a smaller chicken and a larger crock pot for this method.
Tips/Warnings: Flavor the chicken before cooking with your favorite herb like rosemary, add a sprinkling of dried minced onions and garlic powder, or spice it up with a little sprinkle of chili powder. If you have pets they will be in ecstasy if you boil the chicken liver, cool, and cut it into bit size pieces for them to enjoy. Never put pets in danger by feeding the animals any chicken bones including the neck.