How To Cook Yellow Squash
If you want to learn how to cook yellow squash, you have many options. Yellow squash is incredibly versatile, and is a great addition to many vegetable dishes. Although available all-year round, this squash is best eaten in late summer. That's when it reaches it's peak flavor. This healthy recipe includes garden vegetables and a light citrus sauce. It's great as a side dish or a meal, with the addition of shrimp.
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced in half lengthwise then sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced the same as yellow squash
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- shrimp, peeled and deveined (optional)
- Place olive oil in a skillet and preheat over medium-high heat. While you wait, prepare shrimp (if using), vegetables and lemon juice.
- When the pan is ready, add onion, squash, and zucchini. Cook while stirring occasionally until veggies are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp, tomatoes and garlic. This will prevent the garlic from burning. Stir and cook for about 5-10 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Test shrimp for doneness.
- Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir well, check for seasoning, and remove garlic clove. Serve.
This recipe can be varied depending on which vegetables are fresh. You can also try different seasonings. This dish is great served with crusty bread and a tossed salad.