Figuring out how to crochet a Rasta hat can take a non-crocheter significant time and effort. Learning the basics of crochet first will help ease and simplify the process. For the veteran crocheter, all that is needed is a pattern, a little time, and the right materials. It can be helpful to have extra yarn available, and also to make a practice Rasta hat from a pattern before making the desired Rasta hat. That way, if the pattern is too big, too small, or needs adjusting, the practice hat can be used for reference.
Things Needed to Crochet a Rasta Hat:
- Yarn (min. four ounces)
- Crochet Hook (Size H, or size specified on pattern)
- Rasta Hat Crochet Pattern
How to Crochet a Rasta Hat:
- Begin by learning the basics of crochet. This includes understanding the proper tension to leave in the yarn as the desired item is created, as well as proper joining, increasing, decreasing, and finishing techniques. This can be done quite easily by either borrowing a book on beginning crochet from the local library or purchasing one from a local fabric or crafts store. Another alternative could be consulting a veteran crocheter, such as a mother or grandmother, friend, or perhaps taking a seminar which are often offered at fabric and crafts stores.
- Supplies will be needed for practice. Recommended supplies include several sizes of crochet hooks, practice yarn, a yarn needles, scissors, and the instruction book for beginners. It is recommended that beginners try working with a variety of yarn types. Some yarn is simply acrylic and relatively cheap, but also rough. Other yarn is cotton and smooth. There are also fancy and fashion yarns. Select at least two types to practice on, and one that is of the desired type for the Rasta hat.
- Search the Internet for "Rasta hat crochet pattern." With the newly-learned crochet skills, the pattern instructions should be fairly easy to understand. A Rasta hat crochet pattern is going to be simple and straightforward because of the shape of the hat. Common abbreviations will be listed in the beginner crochet book, and possibly on the instructions for crocheting a Rasta hat as well.
- Before beginning the Rasta hat, ensure that the yarn purchased is enough to make the full pattern and the crochet hook size matches the instruction's gauge guide. One pattern, for example, used Sugar & Cream cotton yarn with a size H crochet hook and managed to create a Rasta hat with about four ounces of yarn.
- Follow the instructions to crochet a Rasta hat, referring back to the beginning crochet book if needed to understand an instruction or technique. It can be a good idea to make a practice Rasta hat with cheaper yarn before making one with more expensive yarn, just in case the sizing of the hat or the pattern needs adjusting. Additionally, the practice hat will allow the crocheter to determine the best spots for color changes, if the desired finished Rasta hat should have more than one color or style of yarn in it.
- Beg = beginning
- Ch = chain stitch
- Dc = double crochet
- Lp = loop
- Hk = hook
- Sc = single crochet
- Sk = skip stitch
- SlSt = slip stitch
- Yo = yarn over
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.