Are you looking for a way to cure your OCD? (obsessive compulsive disorder)? This mental illness can make you nervous and afraid, and it can make your life a living nightmare.. Remember you're not alone. Three million people in the United States suffer from this problem. Please don't despair. If you understand why OCD occurs and what can be done about it, you will go a long way toward curing your OCD.
- OCD is a mental illness with two components. Obsessions are impulses that can go through your mind over and over like a fear of germs or of thinking evil thoughts. Compulsions are rituals you perform, like checking to see if the door is locked. If you check once, that's prudent, but if you check the door over and over, that's a compulsion. You want to stop the behavior, but you might find you're unable to. There are ways to cure your OCD, and some of them are quite easy and painless.
- What is the cause of your OCD? Researchers believe it may have to do with brain chemistry. If you have OCD, you probably lack serotonin in your brain. Seretonin is a neurotransmitter manufactured in your body using the amino acid trytophan. Serotonin is a chemical that helps maintain a happy feeling and seems to help keep your moods under control.
- Are medications and therapy the only way to cure your OCD? While drugs like clomipramine and fluoxetine may be helpful, there are some drawbacks . Drugs can be expensive and can cause side effects like dry mouth, upset stomach, and tiredness. That's enough to make you stop taking them. Therapy can also be expensive and time consuming. So what should you do?
- Your diet can play a big part in curing your OCD. Do you eat junk food all day or slurp energy drinks? That could be part of the problem. Studies have discovered that certain foods like bananas, turkey, and salmon can naturally increase your seretonin levels. You also want to get a balance of protein and complex carbohydrates so a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread would be a good choice for lunch. See how simple a cure for OCD can be?
- Seretonin management, a cure for OCD, can be achieved by paying attention to little things that make you feel good. If you schedule a time in your day to take a walk, listen to your favorite music, meditate, pet your pets, or spend time with people you love, you will find that your mood will be elevated. Happy people tend to worry and obsess less.
If you try these suggestions for a few weeks, but you find that your OCD isn't any better, you might want to consult your health care provider. You could be one of those people who needs medication or therapy to cure your OCD. Whatever path you may take, it is possible to take charge of your life by positive thinking. You're encouraged to give it a try.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.