How to Curve a Soccer Ball
Learning how to curve a soccer ball is a simple operation of mechanics. Putting a curve or “bending” a soccer ball is a good strategy in goal scoring or moving the ball around a defender who is standing in front of you. Once you have mastered the skill of curving a soccer ball it will open additional tactics for you to employ in your game.
Below are systematic instructions on curving a soccer ball.
- Approach the ball as you would any other kick.
- Place your standing foot near the ball; be sure not to far away or too close. Your toe should be nearest the ball as not to overshoot the kick.
- Strike the ball with the side of your cleat near the instep or laces.
- Strike the ball on the side to curve the soccer ball. The curve will be dependent upon the foot you use (in other words a right-footed kick will curve the soccer ball to the right).
- Follow through is not necessarily important but if you find you are not curving the soccer ball as much as you would like consider following through in the direction of the curve. If you employ follow through, be certain not to over exaggerate your follow through because it will negatively affect the flight of the soccer ball.
Curving a soccer ball is as simple as that. Like any other athletic move, practice becomes vital to mastering. Curving a soccer ball will prove to be a valuable asset for your arsenal.