If you learn how to cut BMX bars down, you can shorten the handlebars on your BMX bike. Narrowing the handlebars will make the bike ride differently as well as lower the overall weight of the machine. If you feel that the handlebars on your BMX are too long, you can cut the bard down following these tips.
To cut BMX bars down, you will need:
- Safety glasses or goggles
- Tape measure
- Sharpie marker
- Remove the handgrips of the BMX bike. Put on safety glasses or safety goggles.
- Decide the length that you think you want the handlebars. Measure this length with a tape measure and make a small mark on the handlebars with a sharpie marker. Do not cut here yet.
Measure exactly 1/2 inch from the end of the BMX bars and mark it with the sharpie marker. Cut the handlebars using a hacksaw at the 1/2 inch mark.
Sit on the bike and grab the handlebars at the new length, even if you want to remove more. Ensure that it feels comfortable. Remember that you can always cut more off, but you can add back to the handlebars once you remove it.
- Ride the bike around and decide if you want to continue cutting more handlebar off. Proceed to the next step if you do.
- Measure another 1/2 inches from the end of the BMX bars and mark it with the sharpie. Repeat the cut with the hacksaw and test the new length.
- Continue repeating the measure and cut process until you reach the desired length of BMX handlebars. If you are comfortable with the handlebars before you reach the first mark you made, then ignore this mark and put the handgrips back on. If you want them shorter, continue measuring 1/2 inch and cutting and testing the length of the bars.
- You can also use a metal pipe cutter to trim the handlebars.
You may need to replace the blade on the hacksaw if it breaks while cutting the handlebars of the BMX bike.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.