Cutting onions is one of the things you will do over and over again in the kitchen, making it essential to know how to cut an onion. Onions have two ends, the root end and the blossom end. The root end is never cut off the onion because it is the one thing that holds an onion together while it is being cut and the onion odor and eye irritant is reduced with the root in tact. When you learn the correct method for cutting an onion, it will become a quick and easy task.
To cut an onion, you will need:
- Sharp chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Place the onion on a cutting board near the edge. Cut off the blossom end of the onion. Peel the onion skin off moving toward the root end of the onion.
- Cut the onion in half. Cut the onion in half lengthwise splitting the root in half. There should be root on each half of the onion.
- Place the onion face down with the root touching the cutting board. Use the tip of the knife to make vertical slices in the onion with the knife pointing toward the root. Make even slices in the onion but do not cut all the way though the onion to the root.
- Grab the onion and hold it together with your hand. The root should be closest to the palm of your hand. Make two or three horizontal slices in the onion.
- Grip the onion to hold it together with the root facing your hand. Slice the onion like you are slicing a loaf of bread. When you reach the root area rotate it as you continue slicing to get as close to the root as possible. The result will be a finely chopped onion.
Tips and Warnings:
- To slice an onion into rings, cut off the blossom, peel the onion, turn the root toward your hand and make vertical slices until the root is reached.
- If you cut the root off the onion it will begin to bleed and you will begin to cry.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?