A person does not have to know how to sew to know how to decorate an accent pillow. There are many ways you can dress up a plain throw pillow and transform it into a one-of-a-kind piece that will brighten up your room and give it a whole new look. With a few simple materials, you'll be surprised at what you can do.
To decorate an accent pillow, you will need the following:
- Solid colored throw pillow
- Hot glue gun
- Craft fringe, ribbon, or pom-poms
Follow the directions below to learn how to decorate an accent pillow:
- Select a pillow. When selecting a pillow, look for one that is plain in color, with no buttons, snaps, or decorations. In essence, you want to have a blank slate to use when learning how to decorate an accent pillow.
- Select a stencil. There are many places online that allow you to print stencils from your home computer, or you can purchase stencils from your local craft store. Select a stencil that you like. If you're creating an accent pillow for a holiday or season, try to find a stencil that will go with that theme. For an everyday accent pillow, you could select a star stencil, circle stencil, animal stencil, etc.
- Cut your stencil. Cut the stencil out on a piece of heavy-duty craft felt. To add dimension, you can cut out the shape on more than one color of felt and layer it, creating depth. You can also cut out several small shapes, on different color felt, and arrange them in an attractive pattern.
- Glue the pattern. Place your felt on a flat surface. Apply the hot glue to the back of the felt and quickly apply to the pillow. Hot glue dries quickly, so don't play with the felt or try to reposition it repeatedly. Place it immediately into position on the pillow. If you have more than one piece of felt to apply, repeat this process with the remaining pieces.
- Add decoration. The final step in learning how to decorate an accent pillow, is adding decoration. Trim the outer edges of the accent pillow with the material of your choice. Use ribbon, fringe, pom-poms, or similar materials, to make your pillow stand out. Be sure to use coordinating colors, but select a material with a different texture. For example, if the pillow is a suede fabric, use a contrasting material for the decoration.
That's all that is involved with learning how to decorate an accent pillow. Now, when guests visit you at home, you can point out the unique accent pillow that you made yourself!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.