How To Decorate A Bedroom
Deciding how to decorate a bedroom can be daunting if you're starting from scratch. There are a few simple guidelines you can follow to make the task a little easier and ensure that you end up with a showpiece room. The best way to decorate a bedroom is to start by choosing the colors you want to use and then finding bedroom decor items that fit into your color scheme.
- Decide on a theme color. Use your favorite color or get inspiration from magazines, furniture stores or model homes. You may want to decorate a bedroom using a color that contrasts nicely with the bedroom furniture.
- Choose one or two accent colors. Accent colors should provide contrast with your main color but not clash with it. For example, a room decorated in cool blue might use cool green or yellow and rich brown accents. If you have trouble coming up with accent colors, take your inspiration from outside sources. Watch some television shows about home makeovers, flip through the pages of a magazine or go to a paint store and hold some of the samples next to each other to decide what types of colors you want to use.
- Paint the walls. Use your main theme color or a color that contrasts well with it. Keep in mind that if the room is small, it's best to use a light color to maximize the feeling of spaciousness. If the room is large, it's also okay to use a bold or darker color. Keep in mind, though, that the darkness or brightness of any color you choose will seem to increase dramatically once you cover your walls with it. Be careful and err on the side of caution if you don't want to end up painting twice.
- Buy a comforter, duvet or bedspread. This is the centerpiece of your bedroom. Make sure you love the color, pattern and texture.
- Add pillows. Pillows are easy to overlook when you decorate a bedroom, but they're a very important component of the decor. Not only do they add luxury and softness to the room, but they provide an opportunity to use your accent colors. Stack your bed with lots of regular pillows, put pillow shams on a few of them and add several decorative pillows in front of those.
- Choose some wall art. When you decorate a bedroom, you'll generally want a piece of art above the bed and in various other areas of the bedroom, depending on the layout and furniture placement. The key is to make sure your walls aren't bare but also aren't crowded. Choose a few large pieces rather than several small pieces.
- Add a rug or a window covering to soften the feel of the bedroom. If you have a tile or hardwood floor, you'll definitely want a rug, but don't use a rug if you already have carpet. Window coverings can also be used to add a feeling of softness to the room, even if the windows already have blinds. Find some drapes that flow nicely with the colors and patterns you're using, and choose a showcase curtain rod with an artistic design.
- Place some accessories throughout the bedroom. Try using candles, cool picture frames and vases. Browse home stores for ideas if you're not sure what types of accessories you should use when you decorate a bedroom. Use accessories to incorporate your accent colors and liven up the room.