How To Decorate A Dorm Room
When you finally head off to college and see your dorm room for the first time, you may be surprised at how bare and boring it looks. Most dorms come equipped with little more then a bed, desk and dresser. Some people don’t mind the bare look and do better when there is little in the way of decoration in their rooms while other students like their rooms to reflect who they are and their personality. With that in mind, here are some ideas for creating a unique dorm room on a college student’s limited budget.
- One of the easiest ways to fill up your walls is by hanging posters. Posters can be of your favorites sports team, band, etc. Make sure you get some of the poster putty to hang them with as some dorms have cement block walls and if not, they don’t want you to use nails on the walls.
- If you happen to draw or know someone who does, you can hang your own drawings up on the walls to help personalize your space.
- If your dorm allows loft beds, using one can free up a lot of space for items such as a chair or a futon. This can give you additional seating space for when friends come over to visit or study.
- A whiteboard next to the desk or study area is a valuable tool for keeping track of your schedule and any assignments due.
- Colorful rugs liven up a room and are nicer to walk on then a cold tile floor.
- Hanging up a strand or two or white or colored Christmas lights can add an interesting dimension to a dorm room and is perfect for those times when you want a little light, but not as much light as the ceiling light will give.
- Hanging pictures of family and friends from home is a great way to make your space yours and at the same time is an inexpensive way to decorate your dorm room.
- Adding in a plant or two can help to liven up a space or if your dorm allows it even a small fish tank with a couple of colorful fish in it.
- Add scent! Most dorms do not want you to have an open flame so get a candle warmer and set a jar candle on that, or an electric simmer pot to put liquid potpourri in.
- Hang up curtains at the windows in a color to match bedding. Or you can tie dye plain white curtains or make them out of old sheets with a pattern you like.
These are just a few of the many ways you can decorate your dorm room and make it creative and unique. Use these ideas or come up with more of your own, but make your room show off your own individual personality!