How To Decorate A Small Living Room
There are many times where you will need to know how to decorate a small living room. Decorating a small living room doesn't mean you have to skimp on style, design or comfort. It simply means you have to achieve these things on a smaller scale.
To decorate a small living room, you will need:
- Lighting (task and ambient lighting)
- Painting The basis to any good decorating scheme begins with a good paint job. The paint can easily make or break any design plan. Although it is a common thought and has been published many times that a small living room cannot handle a dark color paint, this is not true. Dark colors can be used to decorate small living rooms as long as the proper lighting is used in combination with punches of bright colors to keep the feeling of the room light.
- Molding Wooden molding is your friend when it comes to decorating a small living room. They do not take up any space and can add a dramatic affect to the design. Wood molding can be used to highlight pictures, photos or artwork without leaving the room feeling cluttered or overdone. Molding can be used to bring a ceiling down if you have a small living room with high ceilings. The uses for wood molding are endless and the styles available will suit any design plan.
- Lighting Lighting can be the most essential part of your decorating plan for a small living room. There is lighting that will brighten up and highlight areas of the living room and task lighting that will be used for a purpose such as lighting over a desk or work area.
- Furniture arrangements Play around with furniture arrangements. Try placing furniture away from the walls to give the illusion of space. Use a throw rug to anchor the furniture. The scale of the furniture is also important. A huge, overstuffed couch can appear to take up more room that two or three carefully chosen pieces that fit the scale of the room.